18 June 2009

Blah, Blah, Blah... That's All I'm Getting From You

The conclusion for Up, Up, and Oy Vey!, by Simon Weinstein is about how Jewish culture is so entwined into superhero stories. There are four “rules” that most superheroes follow that goes the same with Jewish beliefs: good always wins over evil, normal people can do super things, it is never too late, and you cannot hide from yourself. In superhero stories there is hardly ever a situation when the villain comes out of battle as the victor. Weinstein writes about Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year, as “a recurrent theme in the holiday prayers is envisioning a time in which good and righteous people will look at the world and ‘They will see and rejoice… and all corruption will disappear like a puff of smoke, and evil rulers will vanish’” (Weinstein 124). We all have the abilities to overcome bad temptations which makes us strong even if we are “normal.” Also there is never a moment in our lives that we can’t return to. We have the abilities to make up for our wrong doings. It does not matter when we do it, as long as we do it. Superheroes are always battling themselves and trying to fit in, but the truth is that they can’t just as we can’t. You cannot hide from the person that you are inside. Weinstein encourages his readers to be themselves and be more than that, whether it is saving someone from a burning building or offering your seat to someone on the bus.
I liked the conclusion of Up, Up, and Oy Vey! It encourages me to be myself a little more. I know it is true that everyone does hide a fraction of themselves from the public, so I’m no alone. I think that I would achieve total peace if I could just be myself on a regular basis.
“The Myth of Superman” by Umberto Eco is about Superman and how he relates to normal people. Superheroes are equipped with a lot of abilities, but these abilities are rooted to human characteristics. Even though Superman has so many powers, he never seems to help places outside of the United States, unless he leaves the planet altogether. Superman has achieved such a sense of immortality as well because the stories have presented in a way that does not represent time.
I didn’t like this reading very much because it confused the crap out of me. I could barely even write a summary about it.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you're the first person to address Weinstein's conclusion Thrash, so I'm really happy about that. But what about his Intro and the Spiderman chapter?

    More whining about Eco--big surprise ;-) Still, you're managing to touch on some of his important ideas. All together, I think the class is going to realize they understand Eco much better than they think they do.

    ReplyDelete