17 June 2009

An Increased Interest

All I can say is WOW! Before reading Up, Up, and Oy Vey!, I really had no idea that, for one, Jewish men were the ones that created comics, and two, superheros in those comics were created to relate/reflect on Jewish tradition and "superpatriarchs and supermatriarchs" of the Bible. This increases my interest in comics more than before. Superman "personifies" the Jewish tradition of integrity, Batman "personifies" justice, and Spider-Man "personifies" responsibility and redemption..just to name a few. It's crazy to think about all the history and values comics have. Never would I have guessed that the history had so much meaning.

It was interesting to read that, at first, Marvel publisher Martin Goodman didn't like the idea of a teenage superhero; Spider-Man. When Spider-Man creator, Stan Lee, first pitched the idea of Spider-Man in the 1960s, Goodman "hated it," but his "philosophy about adolescent superheros" soon turned. Two men, Michael Chabon and Sam Raimi (director of the Spider-Man movies), believe that Spider-Man is a "character that spends his life trying to pay down his guilt." This is shown to be a Jewish quality. Spider-Man is also shows "anonymity" which is another Jewish quality in that Jews give to charities anonymously. Many young male readers can also relate to Spider-Man by the simple fact that he, or should i say his alter ego Peter Parker, is just an average teenager with usual teenage issues.

Now, for The Myth of Superman...I have absolutely no idea what Umberto Eco wrote! I probably only understood his description of Superman's powers and how Superman is a myth but at the same time is accepted by most readers. I can see how Superman's tasks are those which take place in real life, thus making him well accepted. Also, Eco does make some sense in writing about how the stories of Superman need to be well thought out in the attempt to not kill off his character right away. Eco gives an example of Superman not marrying Lois Lane because this would mean Superman is another step closer to his death.

The Myth of Superman definitely made my head hurt, but it certainly did not decrease my interest in Superman. I just kind of wish I can understand what Eco's words mean!

2 comments:

  1. I can't agree with you more about the Myth of Superman...it seriously felt like I was pulling teeth just to get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Myth of Superman" is a serious toughy. I freely admit that I only put it on the syllabus to see what you guys can do with it. But it sounds like you got Eco's main points even if you didn't get his gist ;-)

    Weinstein's stuff is awesome! However, it's important that we make the distinction between "Jewish men were the ones that created comics" and "the ones who created most superheroes and some other comics.

    And you might want to proofread your stuff. "I" should be capitalized ;-)

    ReplyDelete