04 June 2009

Welcome!

Welcome to The Rhetoric of Comics class blog! This blog will be a jumping off point for our class into the publishing world. More importantly, however, it will be a study of comics, a study of the composition classroom, and a study of comics in the composition classroom.
This summer, I've been teaching my Freshman Composition II: The Rhetoric of Comics course for a year. And to break up the monotony of me having to read run-of-the-mill student responses to our readings (and them having to write one after another), I began entertaining the idea of having my students blog their responses instead. And after hearing about the success other teachers (of university, high school, and even elementary school classes) have had, I decided to try it out.

Unfortunately, that makes this summer's course my class of guinea pigs. All jokes aside, though, having already read a couple of our class' written assignments, I see no reason why the posts here should be anything but excellent. The basic format for the required posts each student will write here include a quick summary of the assigned reading followed by a personal response to it. Te first several posts here will be on our chief text, Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art, but others on superheroes, autobiographical comics, and even some more comic theory will follow. And hopefully, more than just what is required for class will be posted here. Feel free to comment on any or all of the posts here--if your comment doesn't seem to fit here, try my personal blog, The Daily Pugle.

Questions? Quibbles? Controversies?

No comments:

Post a Comment