30 August 2009

Babbling!!

In Chapter 3 “Blood of the Gutter” Scott McCloud starts out the chapter with a theory. This theory states that unless you are present to see things, they just cease to exist. There is no guarantee that anything exists outside of what our five scenes are telling us. Our perception of reality is all biased on faith. We are only observing parts but at the same time seeing the whole thing. This is called closure.
The space between the panels of a comic are called “the gutter”. The gutter takes two separate images and turns them into a single idea. Scott McCloud says, “Nothing is seen between the two panels but experience tells you something must be there!” And that is where closure comes in, closure allows us to connect these moments, and simulate time and motion.
The art of comics is a subtractive art and finding the balance between too much and too little is crucial. The way we arrange comics is also very crucial and quite complicated. This is one of the reasons closure is so important. Scott McCloud says “whatever the mysteries within each panel, it’s the power of closure between panels that I find the most interesting. There’s something strange and wonderful that happens in this blank ribbon of paper.”
In chapter 4, “Time Frames” Scott McCloud tells us that time in comics is infinitely wide. He says that just a picture and the intervals create an illusion of time through closure; words introduce time by representing that which can only exist in time. . . SOUND
Panels act as time or space as it is being divided. How long the time and space are defined by the contents of the panel. Panels are an icon which holds in space and time. When panels disappear there is no telling how much time has passed. It gives the feeling of timelessness. One thing comics face problems with was motion where in the art of comics time stands still. The answer. . . Multiple images in sequence or streaking the action in which the character or objects is doing.
Time in comics has lead us to two subjects: Sound, and motion.
Sound: Word balloons and sound effects
Motion: Panel-to-panel closure
At the beginning of my readings I was interested in what Scott McCloud was saying but as the chapters continued to babble on I lost interest and didn’t really care. In my opinion he complicated things, when in reality what he was trying to explain was simple and clear.
All in all I did learn more about comics. I learned about closure, motion, time and space of comics. I never knew comics could be so complicated.

4 comments:

  1. I'm in total agreement with you. I think I got the cconcept at the very beginning of the chapter and I really really wanted to skip out on reading the whole chapter, but I thought I better read it just in case Mr. Ben V. asks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you guys. He does try to get the point to you over and over and over again. I think it would have been better to take a little bit out of the chapters to make it short and straight to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, if I understand you three correctly then, what I'm reading then is that McCloud takes something simple and complicates it? Does that sound right? Well, great! I can't wait to see your Rhetorical Analysis essays and how well you simplify McCloud's ideas!

    Now Stephanie, in the future, I'd like you to expand on your own thoughts a little more completely. Perhaps you could have given us an example of one specific concept McCloud over-complicates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm maybe he didnt need so many examples...thats all

    ReplyDelete