31 August 2009

Closure?
Chapter 3 covers closure, what the gutter is, being a silent accomplice and how the readers are a key ingredient in comics, panel-to-panel transitions and the categories they fall under, finding a balance, and closure between panels. In the book closure is defined as a, "phenomenon of observing the parts but perceiving the whole." It also talks about the gutter and the part it plays within the comic book. Gutters are the spaces between the panels. The gutters are how we, as readers become silent accomplices to the comic and the story it's telling. We are the key ingredients in comic's because it is our imagination that tells the story in between panels. Chapter 3 also talks about panel-to-panel transitions and the different categories they fall under. There are six different categories, they are moment-to-moment, action-to-action, subject-to-subject, scene-to-scene, aspect-to-aspect, and non-sequitur. In American comics we use action-to-action, suject-to-subject, and scene-to-scene. Scott McCloud also talks about how hard it is for artist to find a balance between using different panel-to-panel transitions. The more panel-to-panel transitions the artist uses the more complicated it is to find a balance. The last topic chapter 3 talks about is closure between panels.
As I was reading this chapter I was surprised to find how much I use my imgination without knowing it. I never realized how much thought I put into reading a comic before, compared to how much thought I use when I read a regular book. I love to read, especially at night because it helps me to fall asleep. Maybe, reading a comic instead of a book would not help put me to sleep because im using more of my thought process to read the comic then I am my regular novels. In comics I think there is more interaction because we are the, "silent accomplice," not just picturing what others have wrote.
Sound and Motion?
Chapter 4 is about,"words introduce time by representing that which can only exist in time-sound," comics most important icon and how they indicate space is being divided, how different size panels can change ther readers perception of time, and how to show movement in comics. In chapter 4 Scott McClouds explains how sound and motion can indicate time passing and how comics most important icon, the panel can also help to show time passing by changing the size or shape of the panel. The last topic Scott McCloud talks about is how to bring motion into comics. He talks about the different ways you can do it, some history, and the different styles between American and Japanese.
I've never stopped and thought about sound or motion or the relationship they can have with text and time. In other words, I really didnt know that comics were so complicated. I didn't know it was important to incorporate sound or motion if an artist wanted to indicate for the reader that time has passed or to not incorporate sound and motion and still get their point and story across without any confusion. Comics seem to be very complicated...and it's making my head hurt...good night...

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Amanda!

    I can tell you from personal experience, reading comics before bed does not help you fall asleep the way reading a book does--unless it's a really boring comic ;-)

    ReplyDelete