25 August 2009

Comics 101

After reading the first chapter in Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, I realized that there are a few things I have never heard or known about comics. McCloud explains that every writer has a different technique, different content in their comic strips, different drawings, and different messages. McCloud's definition of a comic is, "Juxaposed, Pictoral, and other Images in Deliberate Sequence." This seems like a complex definition for comic strips. The average person would most likely define comics as, "pictures with words in bubbles." McCloud explains how it's simply not that easy to define a comic. Who would have known that comics date back to the egyptian times? When I think of Hieroglyphics, the word comic strip doesn't exactly pop into my mind. It makes sense though, all of these examples are in sequence like McCloud says. Other examples McCloud uses are Photo Booths, Instructional Manuels, and even some Stained Glass windows displaying Biblical scenes. I never would have compared those things to the comic strips in the Sunday Paper!

Another thing I found interesting is the part where McCloud talks about Max Ernst's "Collage Novel, a Week of Kindness." He says that, "this 182 plate sequence of collages is widely considered a masterpiece of 20th century art, but no art history teacher would dream of calling it "comics". I find this funny because it just proves how lowly scholars think of comics. In reality comics do date back and there is a history and a technique to writing a comic. I think that our society has put this label of "comics" on them that makes it hard for people to take them seriously. Obviously there is more to know than what meets the eye.

3 comments:

  1. I liked the way that you re-described the definition that Scott McCloud' definition of comics. It is the way that I picture comics as well. I like the way that you wrote your blog and that it had some of your personality added to it. It made it very interesting to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an amazing job in defining the comic on only how Scott McCloud did but also in a way that an average person would. It made me look at it from both views a person who knows nothing about comics and from McCloud's view. I believe you have misunderstood one part with the Egyptian hieroglyphics. These in his eyes are not comics strips they are representation of words because each symbol represents a sound. The painting or drawing the Egyptians had would be considered the comic strip rather than the hieroglyphics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Tirisha! I agree; society has given comics a bad rap. This is one of things we'll discuss in more detail later in the semester.

    ReplyDelete