31 August 2009

The Hidden Stuff in Comics.

Scott McCloud's definition of closure was complex. I had no idea what he was trying to say until I read further into Chapter 3. My perception of the definition meant that due to many past experiences I am able to see the world for what it is. Like the example of the soda bottle. The picture only shows part of it, and only a few words. I have seen how it looks and the way it is spelled, so my mind is able to create the whole image. Therefore, I know what it is and how big it is in real life. McCloud gives us an example of time and motion, by providing us two panels. The first one had a man with an axe going after a guy who looks like a dazzle in distress. Second there is a panel with the words EEYAA!! in the sky, you can see part of the town and the moon. Here it was kind of funny to me because when I saw the panels I automatically came to the conclusion that the axe man had killed the man. I came to this conclusion because the first panel the axe man said "Now you DIE!!" So those words only helped me imagine what was going to happen next. I of course imagined that the axe man killed the man. That was the point Scott McCloud was trying to make, it was called "Special Crime." The reader is allowed to finish the story using the imagination. It was so weird to me because I imagined the worst, where the axe man had chopped the man up into many pieces, and the man had suffered. I felt bad at the end because I could have imagined that they made up and became friends, but I didn't. I am a comic murderer, but that's just one of the many ways comics can be so affective.

Chapter four on "Time" was a bit more confusing to me. Scott McCloud talks about a gutter effect. There is a panel with rain and people with umbrellas. The lines that are in the panel are giving a rain image, which was quite obvious. I was walking in the rain on day, if you watch closely and long enough you can actually see thousands of little lines indicating it's raining. My example of time and the gutter would be if you wave your hand slowly you can see the lines of your hands moving in a slow motion, but if you move your hands fast you can see the many lines and hands indicating your hand is moving rapidly. Without time we all would just be still. I realized that comics are a lot more complicated than I ever expected.

1 comment:

  1. While a little late, this is a good post!

    Lastly, I really want you all to expand on your personal thoughts. They don't have to only focus on the reading. For example, how is closure used in your favorite movies, TV shows, video games, etc.?

    ReplyDelete