25 August 2009

How it all Started

The first chapter of Understanding Comics was basically about how we define comics. Scott McCloud discusses several ways to define comics, the importance, and some of the history behind it. Along with that he discusses a couple of people who contributed to the growth of comics.
I enjoyed reading this book because it started off by giving a story on how he began reading comics and how he became obsessed with them. That story immediately grabbed my attention and I wanted to keep reading. I liked when Scott McCloud explained about the history of comics. I never realized how old the art of comics were. Especially the Egyptian hieroglyphics, they were considered early forms of comics because they depicted some of the action sequences that were similar to modern day comics. Scott McCloud also talked about how important the invention of printing was. With the invention of printing, it allowed everyone to enjoy comics, not just the rich and powerful. McCloud also discusses about some of the people who helped the growth of the picture story, like William Hogarth and Rudolphe Topffer. Rudolphe Toppher was considered the father of modern day comics in many ways. He created light satiric picture stories, starting in the mid 1800’s, he employed cartooning and panel borders, and featured the first interdependent combination of words and pictures seen in Europe. William Hogarth and Rudolphe I believe started the growth of comics.
I honestly thought that the reading was pretty good because it was a comic itself. I believe visuals help you understand the concept better. It definitely beats reading a thick fat book that’s hard to understand. I learned a lot from this chapter. It gave me a basic understanding of how comics all started and how it is different from today.

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Kahoku! But remember, it's "They Say, I Say," not "They Say while I say" ;-)

    ReplyDelete