15 September 2009

Aged Comics is like Aged Wine

Where do I begin with Superman? First off, I couldn’t stop laughing at the comic. Not because it was full of jokes, but it was so corny! From the language and the art, each page had these unrealistic scenarios that made me chuckle. Regardless of the innocent humor and “life-life” situations, I actually liked the comic. Although, when I saw the first the page all I could think about was, “Seriously!?” Of course, though, I was wrong about any negative judgment I had of Superman, because it turns out I think I have a bit of liking for this comic. Continuing with Superman, Jerome Siegel and Joe Shuster expose this super hero to the public, of course by Superman doing something justly and worthy of honor by the people. Yet, throughout the comic that’s all he does. Siegel and Shuster outline Superman by the following: his infatuation with Lois and his super human powers. Although unrealistic, this 13 page comic had more life saving then I have read in any adventure book. I kept wondering, “Who is Superman going to save now?” I’d turn a page and again someone would either be getting in Superman’s face or trying to hurt someone else. Even though that is his purpose, Shuster and Siegel clearly proved to the public that Superman, does in fact, has extraordinary powers and he isn’t afraid to use them; unless it is in front of his lovely Lois. Siegle and Shuster did a good job of hooking the reader by using as much action as they did in their first Superman comic.

Furthermore, I could tell immediately this was an older comic. The patterned color scheme (red, blue, yellow, green), the simplistic language, and the basic art style gave away the age of this comic. Clearly, modern day comics are very different in terms or art, color, and language. Also, the art stayed consistent through out the comic. However, a difference I noticed was the characters from page to page sometimes differed. At times Kent would look young, then at other moments he looked older. Page seven has a good example of Kent looking young in the top panel and in the middle he looks like he aged about 10 years. All in all, I liked looking at the pictures because it reminded me of how time has changed. The style of art used in Superman back then wouldn’t be able to sell as well currently because I think it has improved. When I looked at the pictures I noticed I wouldn’t be able to comprehend what was going on without the words, thus storytelling in this comic is vital or else it would be hard to know what was happening.

Overall, Superman is a pretty good comic and I’m impressed with Siegel and Shuster. What else do they have for us? Because I can’t wait to see what else is coming.

3 comments:

  1. The older comics are much different than the ones of today.I enjoy the comics from today better. Sorry oldtimers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo-Town, there are certainly things that modern comics do well--like colour (good observation, Lynnae). But modern comics have been struggling for a long time to capture the magic of what we now refer to as "Golden Age" comics--the first generation of superhero comics.

    Lynnae, it's interesting you should suggest that this art style wouldn't sell well today. Have you seen that Cartoon Network show Batman: The Brave and the Bold. It's animated in a very traditional style, and kids seem to love it. Interesting, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm that's very interesting. I didn't realize that, but then again I don't watch much TV. I guess the art style was ahead of it's time if it is still popular today. Also, I didn't realize that modern comics are struggling to capture what Golden Age comics had before...all interesting facts!

    ReplyDelete