30 September 2009

Out with old & in with the new

In class today when I heard, “HOMEWORK! Read & blog about Scott McCloud’sanything after this point was nothing but incomprehensible sounds because my life pretty much came to a halt… see ya Friday,” my mind filled with hatred. I was pretty disappointed when I heard his name. I don’t have anything against McCloud personally, but I knew I had to read his tangents all over again and completely confuse myself while thinking McCloud is stupid. Meanwhile, it’s actually my fault I don’t understand him. Anyway, I nearly regretted opening the file to read the first chapter, Introduction: The Twelve Revolutions. Of course, though, I came around and managed to read, yet again, Scott McCloud’s theories.

This time, in McCloud’s second book “Reinventing Comics,” a completely different point is being made. Chapter one says comics are beginning to fade away. Due to preconception that comics are only about heroes and funny cartoons, McCloud suggests that comic artists and writers need to find a new medium where they can show off their original ideas. However, in order to do so, current and future generations need to step outside the norm and initiate innovative ideas in order to get comics out of the rut. Areas necessary for improvement are: comics as literature and art, creators’ rights, industry innovation, public perception, institutional scrutiny, gender balance, minority representation, and last, but not least, diversity of genre.

Symbolically, McCloud uses a picture of two eyes, one closed and the other open, to symbolize how comic creators and readers need to open both of their eyes. Not only did comics stop at a certain point in uncovering the roots, but no has tried to dig further, which is the problem according to McCloud. Comics need to broaden in order to fulfill its audience or else there isn’t a chance comics will have a status any longer. Thus, once comics is reinvented we will be seeing the whole picture, and both of our eyes will be open. It’s a matter of communication, new ideas and forms for comics to expand. Regardless of what position we’re in, we find a way to make our point and pass the status-quo as McCloud states (16). Cleverly said and presented, McCloud is clear that comics need a new future. Although, getting there is the problem, luckily McCloud is here to save us with his theories about a reconstruction of comics.

3 comments:

  1. I liked the comparision you made of the one eye closing and the one eye opened and how he relates it to peoples understanding of comics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. McCloud does use that example pretty good. It made me understand what he was trying to say

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Great opening, Lynnae!

    You definitely got a good grasp at what McCloud's after this time around. I would think, however, you'd like this reading better. McCloud's much more direct in his second book (his third book even more so).

    ReplyDelete