16 September 2009

SuperMan…Whats scribbled on the front of his shirt?
The first Superman comic is how I pictured every comic. It was probably my old definition of how I thought of comics and what I expected reading. The first Superman comic had word balloons, bad art, lame dialogue, and no plot. I think I have mentioned in one of my other posts that I assumed that all comics had to have word balloons. I have recently learned that this isn’t so, but all throughout the first Superman comic there were word balloons. I think because I’ve only ever read superhero comics, like this Superman comic, this is probably were my assumption about word balloons came from.
I also thought the art was bad. I didn’t like the fact that the people weren’t detailed. I think the art leans more towards iconic abstraction than realistic art because the pictures weren’t detailed and you recognized what things are by their shape only. The faces barely have any details at all and anything far away is only recognized by their shape. This comic uses both art and language to tell a story, but I don’t think it tells the story very well, partly because the dialogue is lame. I think whoever wrote this comic could have done a better job at the dialogue. It just wasn’t fun to read. I don’t even know what part of the story was the climax… There was three main parts where he was saving someone or fighting someone, but I didn’t think that they were more interesting than any of the other scenes.
The transitions that were used most in this comic are action-to-action and subject-to-subject. I think I expected these transitions in a superhero comic because I’ve read other superhero comics that use the same transitions and this comic seems to follow other superhero comic’s stereotypes.
There also wasn’t any subtle passing of time. The comic was very blunt about it. I didn’t think they involved the readers as much as they could because they didn’t allow the reader to make that guess by the drawings or the language that time was passing. They told the reader that time was passing. Some they showed in individual panels saying the amount of time that has passed and others they showed through clocks. I think it would have been better if they would have involved the reader a little bit more and show the time passing through their art.
In the video we watched of Scott McCloud analyzing Hell Boy comics, Scott McCloud said something about people having this assumption that comics were made for one genre. He goes on to say that if you took superman out of comics than people wouldn’t assume that comics were for kids. I agree with him. I don’t think I would have all these wrong assumptions of comics if Superman was removed from comic history.
I’ve learned my favorite part about comics is the gutters because I get to help tell the story. I like that.

3 comments:

  1. This is an excellent post, Amanda. It's good to see you're making cross-connections between the different readings. That'll come in handy for your essays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Amanda in that this comic book fit the tipical kiddie faire that Scott McCloud talks about in the first chapter of Understanding Comics. When I thought of how I defied comics and the way I see them now and I was glad I wasn't the only one changed idea about comic books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, Roxanne, you really need to comment on a current blog post. This one's kinda old :-)

    ReplyDelete