04 October 2009

The Battle for Diversity?

The Battle for diversity is about comics needing to branch out and add some culture and gender diversity. This chapter addresses three out of the twelve revolutions, which are gender balance, minority representation, and gender diversity. This will help comics to relate and appeal to different types of people. For example, it will help to appeal and relate to females and people of minority decent, instead of just appealing to young adolecent males not of minority.

I absolutely loved the comic illustration on page 101. It’s about a male comic artist that goes off to war, then a female coming in and creating comics because the men have gone off to war, and then the male comic artist coming back from far and giving the female comic artist the boot. I thought it was hilarious. I actually laughed out loud. The only words that came to mind was…Wow, so true…

I looked up friends-lulu.org, but the site said it was temporarily unavailable.

I think Scott McCloud has won me over by explaining to this male based comic book world, that they have carelessly overlooked our potential in the comic book industry. If I knew that females wrote comic books I would definitely go out and buy more comics. I’m a book worm and I love to read. After high school I stopped reading Japanese comics because one I had to buy my own books and I couldn’t afford to pay ten dollars for a comic book I could finish in 10 minutes and second, the literature was a little weak to continue to invest in them. For me this has brought on a whole new interest in comics because comics are stereotyped as only for males and I think I’ve only read comics by males. I would love to see the women’s perspective and compare the male and female styles of creating comics. I’m a girl and I’m all for girl power, I guess.

With this whole minority section I agree one hundred percent. Although, it is not wrong for people to write outside their experience I don’t think they can portray an event or experience that a person who has experienced it can. When people do movies about Hawaii it irritates me that they stereotype us. I don’t go around saying “hey bah” or “You Haoles get off my beach”. The movie that bothers me the most is Lilo and Stitch because every brown person has a big nose. I do not have a big nose and neither does every brown person in Hawaii. Oh yeah and Blue Crush is the dumbest movie I ever watched!! That movie is worse then lilo and stitch. People swimming in their evening gowns...dumb...dumb...All I can do is shake my head...who comes up with these movies!!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Great post, Amanda!

    It is tough to accurately represent minorities; that's why we need more minority writers and artists in comics (and evidently, movies too)!

    I feel you on manga though--that's one of the things that've kept me from really getting into them. A cheap alternative I've found for short/expensive comics is either sitting in Borders and reading them or requesting them through our library's Inter Library Loan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im all for trying new comics...I think Ive outgrown manga comics though...hmmmm I really cant sit in borders and read manga comics in hawaii...Seriusly...Im a little tooooooo old and second im not Japanese...Really im dead serious...Is there like a series you could reccomend other than manga comics?

    ReplyDelete