08 February 2010

Put It Together and You'll Figure It Out

Chapter nine of “Understanding Comics” claims that it’s putting it all together. McCloud discussed a full range of topics. From communications in comics, to mediums, to language, and finished off the evolution of comics. In chapter nine McCloud claims that projects of comics cannot truly represent the vision it came from. McCloud states this because he feels no other human would see the project the way the creator seen the project. McCloud also goes on to clarify that this is a by-product of an inability to communicate directly mind to mind. McCloud goes on to establish the fact that communication can breach the wall of ignorance, but it is only effective when we understand the forms it can take. When reading comics McCloud suggests that we should “start from scratch with comics” to get the full potential of it. We shouldn’t judge a current comic off our past history with comics no matter if the history is good or bad is the point McCloud was trying to make. Art has a BIG hole in its history was another topic discussed. McCloud continues to impress me with chapter nine by stating that since comics is a sight-based medium the world of iconography is at its grasp. Comics also create something out of nothing through its usage of the power of closure. The language of comics will continue to evolve was another point McCloud was trying to make. Also the evolution of comics will differ according to its surroundings.

My experience with “Understanding Comics” had to be a wildly entertaining one. I found the book to be interesting and informative. Although I had my fair share of trouble with the book, I feel I came out with better appreciation towards comics. Actually I feel like trying to read comics and apply some of the knowledge I learned from comics to my reading. Comics have a lot of unknown but yet insightful knowledge behind it, and I probably would have never realized that if I didn’t read this book. I thank Mr. McCloud for the knowledge I gain from reading his book and hopefully one day I could understand comics to the extent he has.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post, Velle! Your summary is nice, and you really seem to be dealing with some of McCloud's ideas--I hope to see that in your first paper next week ;-)

    Just make sure you revise for clarity in the future; there's a couple bits where I'm not sure exactly what idea you're trying to get across. Still, nice work.

    ReplyDelete