01 March 2010

the myth

The Myth of super man by Umberto Eco first gives us a back ground over view of super man and all of his powers and how he got to earth and also it showed us how the comic artist plugged in super boy and super girl to make the superman comics make since. Then he talks about past heroes pre comic heroes such as Hercules, Pantaguruel, and even Peter Pan, and how they Have been blessed with powers that are not know to man. He describes that to understand a plot of a super hero comic the character must be understandable for the reader. Eco talks about how superman is a model of heterodiriction and a political consciousness.

This is about all I could gather from Eco’s work. it was very difficult to understand as I still don’t really understand the heterodiriction meaning fully. To me this article had to have been meant for very well educated people. Now to me I don’t think Weinstein would have much to argue about with this article I didn’t see any thing that would contradict any of his views except maybe when Eco asked why super man couldn’t help out with the whole world. It shouldn’t be that hard since he can fly to different galaxies with ease. I can see Weinstian having a few opinions but nothing to much. As for Eco’s Main thesis I think it has to do with the superman being a model of heterodiriction even though I don’t know fully what he means I’m sure the class discussion will help me on that.

5 comments:

  1. lol ill comment on my own since im the first one done. i agree with my self that Ecos is probley the worst text ive read since i was forced to read this god awfull book in 7th grade i wish i could remember what it was called. but over all i dont see any thing that concern weinstian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you seem to have so much time on your hands, Maxx, I suggest spending a little more time with the text before blogging, as opposed to just skimming through it and lazily posting.

    Also, I've I said in the past, commenting on your own blog (especially when you're just repeating yourself) doesn't count for class :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol ill comment on someone elses !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the reading was a little confusing but understandable. I think that Eco's thesis is that Superman resembles more mythical character than a novel character. This is where heterodirection makes Superman that type of character. Doesn't Eco's word of heterodirection mean that Superman's plots and progression is in a different direction than normal novel characters, which makes him more of a myth?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great comment, Toni! I think you really nailed it. "Heterodirection" isn't exactly one of those dictionary words, but I think that's at least partly what Eco means by it. Nicely done :-)

    ReplyDelete