08 June 2010

BAM!

YES! McCloud indeed does his fantastic movement with his book yet again! From Chapter 4, explaining 'Time Frames' to Chapter 6, talking 'Show and Tell'. It doesn't seem as though he fails to grab his readers attention because he stays on topic to what he is trying to explain to his dear ol' readers.
In Chapter 4 McCloud explains that each panels is a still frame then changes his mind that it's a panel still moving in time. I agree to disagree. Why? Because it is all still frame, the picture does not move like a film would or a cartoon. It just stays in one spot on the piece of paper, right? No, it continues with different images and phrases that take your imagination along, moving each image as a cartoon or film would. Indeed some panels are caught in single moments as though you can invision what they are telling you. Maybe I am have a broad imagination or something but when I look at a picture I can see all the different things happening in the in between, like I am actuallly there and know exactly what is happening. When panels in a comic move a person like that, the artist is indeed doing something CORRECT! Right? Well, YES! This is what I get from McCloud in Chapter 4. It's almost like he wants you to agree with everything he is trying to explain but also telling you not to and to just have your OWN i m a g i n a t i o n! :)
In Chapter 6, I love how McCloud uses an example that can pretty much get anyone's attention. The example was how comics are best with words and pictures, like PARTNERS in a DANCE and pretty much each one takes turn LEADING. Of course this grabbed my attention on a whole new level and my understanding of comics become more clear and out loud in the library I said, "OH! I get it now!" (How embarassing! LOL!) But, McCloud goes along saying that each partner knows their role/part and they support eachother's strengths. Very true!
"When pictures can carry the weight of clarity in a scene, they free words to explore a wider area."
This is true because when you can put a picture to any words, it gives the meaning balance. Another thing McCloud points out is that the mixing of words and pictures are alchemy than science. Another thing that amuses me on his theory about that is the word, 'alchemy'. Why? Because it is EXACTLY what McCloud had said from the beginning what he believes comics are. A seemingly magical POWER! Well, not in those words, but believeing comics have some sort of POWER that needs to be let out and shared with the world.

5 comments:

  1. For one, I love your use of color! lol! I really like how you mentioned alchemy! I would of never thought to talk about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I love the graphic you used of Scott McCloud, hes more pudgy and has gray hair! Some of the colors you used are hard to read, it certainly caught my attention though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I feel like my eyes were just attacked, but not necessarily in a good way ;-) B's right, though; some of those colours are hard to read. Moving away from black is perfectly fine (in blogging), as long as 1) it's readable and 2) consistent.

    On a less technical note, remember that your summary should exist separate from your own opinion (that's what the "free response" is for at the end of your post. Especially since I'm an even bigger fan of you ending with a quote now that you explain it.

    All that said, congratulations on being the first student to successfully upload a picture onto The Rhetoric of Comics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey i like your creativity!!!! Great blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Josh Silva, BFarrell, & Tamra jean! :)

    Ben V- yes I realized the colors after a few reads myself & thank you! I need to start to put my free response at the end, thanks for the remind! & woo hoo on being the first to use pictures! lol :)

    ReplyDelete