30 January 2012

Seeing the Unseeable: Chapter 3 - Blood in the Gutters

The gaps between the panels leave an infinite amount of space for the mind to fill its blank canvas. This act of filling is referred to McCloud as closure. This allows readers to have a continuous thought, even though the panels themselves are in a state of transition. McCloud states that there are six different types of transitions. Moment to moment, action to action, subject to subject, scene to scene, aspect to aspect, and non-sequitur. Starting with moment to moment and going to non-sequitur the need for closure increases greatly, to the point where non-sequitur does not seem to have a rhyme to its reason. Focusing on American artists, statistically, there is a pattern in comics that show a heavy reliance on action to action, subject to subject, and scene to scene. McCloud links this to the fact that Western culture has a fixation getting to the point, while Easter culture places importance on how you get to the point. Eastern culture has a fixation with balance and balance is key to comics. The author must decide what to add and what should be removed without casting the whole story into a tailspin confusion. The author also must find produce work that is visually stimulating, once the eyes are captured, so are the other senses. The author must also be weary to not create something that is too realistic or unidentifiable. This hinders the reader's ability to have a continuous thought. This balance that is needed in so many different aspects joined together in one story is special to the art of comics, and this is why they are, in a way, magical.

Things only exist because I exist. There is no way I can prove things are real beyond what I am sensing in that very moment.This point made by McCloud I found to be perplexing. When I was younger I don't doubt that I had similar thoughts, but now I realize how much faith every single person invests in this world. I cannot prove that my house in Colorado is standing right now, but I trust that it is. This idea relayed interestingly to how comics are read. I never considered how the gaps were apart of the story. The gutters allow the readers to become the authors, making comics interactive on a level I never really thought of. McCloud really hook, lined, and sinker-ed me on this one.

1 comment:

  1. "There is no way I can prove things are real beyond what I am sensing in that very moment." Yes! Children are only just capable of closure, and this is a good example of it.

    Not a bad post :-)

    ReplyDelete