22 March 2014

Feeder 1.2



Dear Mr. Langston Hughes,


I must say after reading your "Theme For English B" I was quite compelled by the affect it had on me. Going through the story multiple times I came to the conclusion that the main point was to show the indecisiveness in life one can have within adolescence as well as right out of adolescence, through your very eyes; which is something I can personally relate to as well as majority of the youth within this thriving society. As for my personal experience, for about a year to two years of my teenage years I came to a point asking myself the same general question "Who I wanted to be ?", safe to say it was a self realization period in my life which I am glad I experienced; enabling me to gain a form of self awareness.

In the passage you stated:

"It's not easy to know what is true for you or me at twenty-two, my age. But I guess I'm what I feel and see and hear, Harlem, I hear you: hear you, hear me---we two---you, me, talk on this page. (I hear New York too.) Me---who ? ... I guess being colored doesn't make me NOT like the same things other folks like who are other races ... instructor. You are white---yet a part of me, as I am part of you ... As I learn from you, I guess you learn from me---although you're older---and white---and somewhat more free."

These few lines from your excerpt speaks volumes to me; first and foremost stating that within the age of youth the "truth" can be quite difficult to find and one is affect by the interaction with their surroundings. Therefore, ones personal experiences growing up whether it be in the heart of the hood/ghetto, suburbs, countryside, city, or a third world country all connect due to the fact all cases become a product of their environment. This connects when you go on to say (despite racial differences) "I am part of you" which signifies that as people we are all of one; all connected on a superstring field downloading and comprehending information from one another. This in itself is truly beautiful and magnificent, because that's truly what enables us as a society to advance and evolve. The ending ties everything together perfectly by showing the simple reality and facts of the world we live within; despite the idea that we are all connected, people are subjected to their own traditions from both family and history so apartheid continues to thrive and live. I believe that the concept in which this was executed and delivered in itself is ingenious and gives awareness to the masses of this planet about what's really going on, in short the "truth". I respect this and "Theme For English B" had a lasting impact on my life.




                                                                   

                                                                                       -  The Only
                                       
       Link: http://thejetlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Times_Square_New_York_City_HDR.jpg
                                                               
                                           - "I guess I'm what I feel and see and hear, Harlem, I hear you: hear you, hear me---we two---you, me, talk on this page. (I hear New York too.) Me---who ?"

                                                                              - Langston Hughes

1 comment:

  1. Really great letter, Jay! I like the way you offered your interpretation :-)

    ReplyDelete