22 March 2014

Feeder 1.2 open letter to Spiegelman

I've decided to write a letter to the author of Maus. I wanted to tell art spiegelman what I thought of his book, well at least what I've read so far. Where do I start, three chapter into the story and I find myself still uninterested. Maus just seems like another holocaust story to me. Don't get me wrong I think the holocaust was a awful thing, and I feel sorry for anyone who was affected by it. But i kinda feel like as being a black person my own people have been through… well a lot, I'm not pulling out any measuring stick here but that's just my opinion. I kinda wonder why, In my entire academic life I've been assigned more holocaust story than slavery. Of'course this is just my own personal gripe, but I digress from my point and I hope you can see why I see maus as just another holocaust story. To get a little more into the book. the story is basically about you telling someone else's story, a holocaust surviver that's  old, grumpy and with a great personality. Sarcasm intended, but because Vladek is such a awful person I find it hard to feel for his struggles. I mean he's been through a lot but I think he should be a little more grateful to be alive to be able to tell his story because, in his story a lot of people weren't able to do the same. I'm digressing from my point again but the story has fail to interest me half way in, and I can pretty much predict the how the rest turns out. It's not a mystery who survives, it make me not want to read the rest of the book. The one thing I can say about the book that does set it apart being that it's a comic. Ps there are much more interesting comics out their... Just saying. 
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/8912917/MetaMaus-by-Art-Spiegelman-review.html

2 comments:

  1. This was very interesting to read considering the fact that I might be the only one in the class with ancestors that suffered in the holocaust. You make a strong point here so I agree with what you're feeling as to what you learned in school. Me personally, only time I ever heard about holocaust stories was when I was in history class or when I had to read the book itself. Both slavery and the holocaust were very tragic and unforgiving situations. Most people want to believe that the holocaust didn't even happen. Maybe it might have been the schools you went to, because the schools I went to mentioned slavery more often than the holocaust. I also agree with the knowledge of how it's going to end. We all know how it ends lol. I'm sorry you didn't hear as much about slavery in school as you did of the holocaust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how where you go to school affects the tragedies you learn about. In New Mexico, I noticed that a lot of students didn't know as much about slavery OR the Holocaust as students here do. Instead, Native American students knew about the Long Walk (where Natives were once forced to trek hundreds of miles on foot to be relocated into what was essentially a concentration camp), while New Mexican students may have studied the Civil Rights Movement as it happened there as opposed to (or in addition to) Martin Luther King's story.

    This seems like an odd letter, chriswatson. It sounds like you're laying blame on Spiegelman for writing another Holocaust story rather than one about slavery, though I'm sure that's not what you intended.

    But I am curious about what these other, "more interesting comics" are! I still haven't finalized our readings for later in the semester, so maybe we can read some!

    ReplyDelete