22 March 2014

FEEDER 1.2

Source(Never Forget Who You Are)


Dear, Marjane Satrapi

I have been reading your graphic novel Persepolis, in my visual verbal literacy class and I was really fascinated by the way you portrayed the seriousness of the Islamic Revolution and you growing up in the midst of it all. Your book has great history and shows your experiences and explains them very well in a grasping way. It captures the emotion and passion of you and everyone in the book and also it showcases the concept of war in a visual perspective with great detail. You wrote about the revolution, torture, violence, and oppression in a way that made them real, and not imaginary. You were able to put a look on emotion and the revolution; I was able to feel like I was almost a part of it.
Persepolis black and white drawings made me feel more absorbed to the book because I felt like it was stronger than to use actual color and the tone felt a lot more serious. Seeing figures of teenagers dying on Iraqi minefields, women all black with only their faces standing out, these images brought your experiences to life. It showed me that not all revolutions for the people have worked as well as the American one has. Your story of growing up during the Islamic Revolution in Iran made me realize how little I knew about the world and life.
When you wrote about martyrs, battlefields, and prisoners, it was grim and strange. I lived my comfy life, never knowing enough about these problems that existed. It was shocking to think that anyone could torture or murder another human being. One thing that stood out to me was the quote, “Never forget who you are and where you're from” (pg. 153) I think it’s quite inspiring. It reminds me of the time my Father told me “never take things for granted,” it was true. I tried applying that to each moment in my life to see how it fits and I think he was right. I tend to appreciate a lot of things in life whether it is waking up in the morning or just being able to hug my Mum at night.
Persepolis has helped me to grow up in a sense but it helped me to think differently. Your story was full of emotion that made you relatable no matter how different you seem. I really enjoyed how you fought to form your own opinions rather than what was fed to you by teachers and TV and learned to be unconvinced. “Your child is disturbed. She wants to become a prophet...... Doesn't this worry you?” (pg. 8) When I read that it stuck with me the most because I found it so amazing a six year old had dreams of becoming a prophet, usually it’s doctors, lawyers, and astronauts! How come you never told your parents? I am sure they would have supported it, your teacher was wrong to ignore your imagination. I am very happy I had a chance to read your book and I encourage many others to do the same, it is a worthwhile experience.

Sincerely yours,
Christopher Bostic. 

1 comment:

  1. Really great letter, Chris! Did you read the rest of the book already?!

    ReplyDelete